Thursday, September 16, 2004

It All Comes Full Circle

Kids are cute, right? Yeah, they are cute, right up until the age when they start embarrassing you in public.

The other day I made a trip to the grocery store, which I usually try to do when Bubba is with X, but I couldn’t avoid it any longer, so we were there together. She sat in the cart in the freezer section, as I tried to choose between frozen pizzas, and announced, “Look, Mommy, there’s Santa Claus.” I looked down the aisle to where she pointed at a larger man with a full, curly, dark brown beard and longish brown, curly hair – he actually resembled Rupert from Survivor more closely than Santa Claus. I stifled a giggle and urged her to quiet. Do children even listen to such pleadings? Mine merely said in a louder voice, “See, he’s Santa, Mommy.”

“Shhh, I see him,” I whispered.

“He has water, Mommy. Santa has water.” Probably leaving the holder of the water no doubt to whom she was referring, and then she puffed out her cheeks, pushed out her belly, and caressed the newly created girth with her hands. “And he does this, Mommy.”

And with that, I decided against the pizzas and hurried out of the aisle as she continued to puff, push out, point and yell about Santa. I continued through my shopping list, but my daughter spotted someone else. “Uh oh, Mommy,” she said loudly while pointing to a large woman. “She does this.” And with that announcement, puffed and pushed out again, but this time with more gusto. “Why does she do this?”

I hushed her and practically ran away from the poor woman and the shocked expression on her face.

The funny thing is that as embarrassed as I was by her announcements and gesticulations, I know that in ten years time I will be the one causing her cheek flaming embarrassment, just by being myself, her mom, in public. I can hear it now, “Shhhh, MOOOMMM, you’re embarrassing me!”
- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +