Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Sing We Now of Christmas

Radio stations have started in with their nonstop Christmas playlists. The one I listen to started the week before Thanksgiving, which is a week too early in my book. However, I have always loved Christmas music and as a child was given to playing the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas tape in the middle of summer. I couldn’t get enough of carols, and to some degree I still can’t. I love, love, love Judy Garland’s rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and was so excited to watch Meet Me In St. Louis on Friday for the millionth time just to see her sing that song.

But I have my limits. There are two songs that are in the rotation here in Seattle that really make me want to puke. They are the sappiest songs I have heard (though “Where are You Christmas?” is up there). “Christmas in the Northwest” and “Sippin’ in Seattle’s Latte Land” have to be the worst Christmas songs in the universe (though I would have to say that Grandma reindeer song is pretty bad).

Christmas in the Northwest” is just sappy. But “Sippin’ in Seattle’s Latte Land” is sappy and cheesy. Couldn’t find a link to give you a listen, but it is sung to the tune of “Winter Wonderland” and has the line “down the street somethin’s brewin.’” Make it stop. I would rather listen to Mariah Carey's Christmas album over and over and over.

Seattle doesn’t need its own Christmas songs. We can share with the rest of the world. Really.
- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +