Friday, January 28, 2005

The One Where I Whine About Writing

Okay, yes I'm a "published" author, but don't get too excited for me. I am published in online newsletters, to my company's website and another website by a company that contracts for our services. And truth be told, I hate what I write for these darn articles. I don't know what I'm talking about...bringing to mind that great bit from Clueless where the guy asks, "Do you even know what you're talking about?" And Cher looks at him and says, "No, why do I sound like I do?" or something to that effect. I don't even get to do the primary research, which also sucks, because I don't get the fun of digging up the interesting tidbits that might make the articles more...um, interesting.

But, hey, I'm "published," isn't that what all writers want? Readers to read what they write? Uh, I get that with a blog, and I get to write what I like. No one is going to read these dumb articles and offer me a book deal for my novel-in-progress. And if someone asks me for a writing sample, do you think I would ever want to turn in the below? Never, because I hate that article. It sucks to write stuff you hate. I feel like I am in college again, or high school, more like. And you want to know the worst part of this whole thing...the company that contracts for our services uses our company as the byline rather than my name. Grrr.

{boy am I whiny today}

Here is an example... Believe me when I say that I won't be offended if you fall asleep while attempting to read it. I dozed off while writing it.


Why Do People Buy Organics
Before Michael and his wife had a baby, purchasing organic products was never a consideration and buying mainstream goods was a matter of course for the busy couple. However, when Emma was ready for solid foods, Michael told us, “We just decided to go with organic baby food…My wife read something in a magazine about it, and it just makes sense…I think we just want to give her the best without pesticides and hormones…as natural as it can be just because we know it’s better.”

As with Michael and his wife, becoming a parent is a strong trigger for many people to begin to buy organic foods. Parents with small children believe that introducing organics is like working on a “clean slate” that will help to ensure future good health. Some begin using organics while they are pregnant; while others start once their child has transitioned to baby food and/or dairy products. Purchasing organics makes parents feel like they are being proactive in protecting their children, teaching them how to “eat right” and acting responsibly.

As Emma got older, Michael and his wife decided to continue buying organic. First they started purchasing dairy products from milk to yogurt, and then they began to purchase items that they felt have high levels of pesticides or chemical. “We just wanted to continue to give her foods that haven’t been exposed to that unnatural and harmful stuff. It just seems that fruits like strawberries and apples are most affected. Their skins are directly exposed to the pesticides, aren’t they? Bananas and oranges seem protected because you remove the skin before you eat it.”

Many people follow the same pathway as Michael’s family, first adopting fruits, vegetables, and baby food, then moving to other categories such as juice and cereal. The accompanying graphic shows this typical organic pathway.

Health conditions are another reason people cite for beginning to purchase organic products. Being diagnosed with a health condition proves to be a strong influence for changes in diet, nutrition and wellness regimes. The most frequently mentioned health trigger is food allergies. Cathryn says a change for her family is on the horizon, “I’m just going to have to start buying organic for her [daughter]. I personally have never ever really used organic things…she’s got allergies as we know and stuff like that. It [non-organic food] might be a problem, so we’re starting to use organic.”

Some people wait to be diagnosed with a condition before purchasing organic, others see organics as a means for prevention. Brian, an avid organics user, says “I mean you wouldn’t drink a shot glass of pesticides would you? Cancer has only been around for the last few decades, and you can’t tell me that’s a coincidence.” The link between cancer or allergies and toxic levels in foods is one that is easily made and understood by many individuals, making the transition to organics an obvious choice. Toxicity levels and potential health hazards are fairly tangible reasons to begin buying organic.

Other reasons for making the move to organics are varied. Some hear about how friends, family or colleagues are using organic and decide to go for it themselves. Others just state common sense (e.g., “If pesticides aren’t good for bugs, how can they be good for us?”). While still others begin using organics because they saw or heard a story about organics and/or food productions that alarmed or frightened them.

What is also interesting about the use of organics is that a lot people aren’t so much driven to begin using because they’ve considered the chemicals in the soil, the food an animal eats or the increased absorption of chemicals on particular foods, rather they are by recommendations from family or friends, better taste options or motivated on impulse if the price is right.

From becoming a parent, to being diagnosed with a health condition, prevention, and family, initial motivations for buying organic varies. Whether one becomes an educated lifetime organics user or reverts back to mainstream products from there depends wholly on the person and the situation.

Yawn.
- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas +